Six Bells Colliery – a brief history
In 1892, John Lancaster & Co began work sinking the two mine shafts of the colliery, each to a depth of 320m.
During the course of this work, four men (William Mathews, Thomas Day, John Lamb and William Lusty) lost their lives when they fell to the bottom of the shaft in a tragic accident on February 9th 1895.
John Lancaster & Co owned several collieries in the Ebbw Fach valley, and operated these under a group title of ‘Griffin Pits’.
‘Griffin Pit No 1’ was situated to the north in Blaina, with ‘Griffin Pits Nos 2 & 3’ a mile and quarter further south at Bournville.
The Six Bells colliery lay three miles south of Bournville, and the mine shafts were officially named ‘Arael Griffin Nos. 4 & 5’.
Coal winding began in 1898 and, at the height of production before the outbreak of the 1st World War in 1914, over 2,800 men were employed.